Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Refined Philosophy - Blog 2

I have actually realized my passion for using technology as such a huge resource in my instruction by being at this school this semester. I think combining my goal to push students to communicate openly and freely among each other and my goal to use technology in the classroom is definitely a doable thing. My fiance is a computer science major, and I feel very lucky to have acquired a ton of knowledge about computers and technologial information from him. It has really come to be a huge advantage that I have over other teachers at the school. They envy my abilities with powerpoint, (like, embedding videos without having to be online because EVERYTHING is blocked at this school, even teachertube.com). The fact that I can connect with the students this way really makes up for me in areas where I may be lacking. I may not be the best story teller or the most exciting speaker in the world, but they get excited about the videos that I show as lesson openers and the interactive lectures that I have for them.

Pulling the students out of their shell has been easy for me because of technology. They see me as a competant individual who understands them. Suddenly, because they see proof that I understand youtube and powerpoints, they want my opinions. It has actually made them respect me; a side effect I was not looking for, but very happily accept. I think they feel more comfortable with a teacher who has grown up in the era of technology. I'm so glad to see them talking freely about personal matters to me and each other. Being a psychology class, we have lots of opportunities to tell stories and speak about our own life's experiences. It is very useful, for instance, when discussing dreaming if someone tells us how they have witnessed their dog during REM sleep. This connects them to something on a personal level.

Furthermore, since I have the abilities, I could go online and embed a youtube video into my powerpoint that shows the effects on the eye during REM sleep. I used an example of "Call of Duty 5" in one of my lectures on spatial ability and inserted a video game still right on my powerpoint. That knowledge I must attribute to my fiance, but it is still an example of how to connect with them and make things relevant using technology. I believe I will always think technology is the best way to connect with my students, and I am very thankful that I grew up in the era that I did and that I am personally open to learning new technologies. I think my students are just as thankful.

1 comment:

  1. Great job here. I keep forgetting how technologically equipped you are. I will have to use you as a resource the next time I am having difficulty in the classroom. I am glad to see that you are embracing this in your classroom. Instead of seeing your school as an obstacle because of the lack of technology, you are still finding ways to incorporate this into your teaching. Way to go. I appreciate this positive perspective. I am also glad that the other teachers are viewing you as a resource.

    ReplyDelete