Thursday, March 12, 2009

"Sorry"

One of my sorries was that I was not as assertive as I should have been when I first started student teaching. It hasn't been a big deal with my classes this semester, but I can see that it could potentially be a problem with slightly worse-acting kids. There wasn't a lot for me to say for my sorries, and I know that is not anything I did. My students are awesome and my cooperating teacher is awesome. The faculty here is great, and the school is too. If I had been more assertive teaching at first, the students would have an easier time of seeing me as the main teacher instead of Mr. Bachman. They still report to me and ask me questions, but sometimes I get the "should I ask you, or Bachman?" or... "Where is Mr. Bachman? I need to ask him something.". And I want to say "I'm your teacher, not him!" haha Other than small problems like these, I am very happy with my experience.

1 comment:

  1. Jessica,
    I am glad that you had such a great experience in the field. I know that being assertive will come as you have your own class and practice. If you are okay with the students asking your cooperating teacher first than it is alright, knowing that you will be that one teacher in your class. What I do encourage you to do is establish that classroom climate of fairness and respect the way your cooperating teacher obviously has. If you can do that (and I think you will) I do not think you will have to worry about being assertive.

    ReplyDelete